Sudbury Town Residents' Association history
On Friday, 25th February 2011 a meeting of colleagues and friends with common interests in the area of Sudbury decided to form Sudbury Town Residents’ Association (STRA). In 2013 we were appointed as a neighbourhood forum by London Borough of Brent.
You can find out more about the neighbourhood forums in the following web site.
Sudbury Town Residents’ Association (STRA) is approaching its third birthday. If you are new to this area or you want to be part of a Cleaner, Greener, Safer Sudbury and wish to make Sudbury a better place to live please become a member. With 180 members we have achieved a lot, but we need more and you can make a difference by joining us. We meet regularly at St Andrews Church, 956 Harrow Road, HA0 2QA. You are welcome to attend these meetings to meet the members before you join and make your voice heard. We are beginning to add more social events to our web page, e.g., annual dinner, cycling club, pub quiz team at the Black Horse as well as many other activities on offer in Sudbury.
STRA’s achievements to date and for the future
- Appointed as a Neighbourhood Sudbury Ward – one of the first in Greater London. (If you are interested in shaping your local area, deciding where new homes, shops and other facilities will go and what they will look like, NP gives you the opportunity to get involved and have your say)
- Campaign relentlessly to stop PAAN spitting while this bad practice is on-going.
- Worked with Brent Council to replace the pavements in Sudbury Town and encourage the planting of sixteen trees. Campaigned successfully for toilets at Sudbury & Harrow Road Station.
- Petitioned against the opening of more betting shops in Sudbury.
- Petitioned for more trains to stop at our local station, Sudbury & Harrow Road.
- Orchestrated and championed litter free streets. Organise general litter pick days to keep the ward clean.
- Campaigned for clutter free pavements and new street lamps.
- Continually working on educating people that dumping rubbish on pavements and green spaces makes an area look rundown and uncared for. This also invites antisocial behaviour - graffiti, drugs, drinking, burglary etc. Brent Council spends £6 Million + per annum on refuse collection. These funds can be put to better use in the community.
- Liaising with Network Rail to improve the areas on side of the railway bridge (on-going).
- Supported gates being put up behind the shops.
- Requested user-friendly steps leading from Compton Avenue to the football field.
- Organised the Party in the Park to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012 and to raise funds for local charities.
- Participated in the celebrations for the Olympic Torch relay in the High Street.
- Playing an active role on the Sudbury Ward Panel to raise members concerns relating to
crime and other anti-social issues.
- Regular liaison with Brent Council and Ward Councillors on matters of concern to our
- Promoting the interests of our business members.
- Monitoring of planning and licence applications and keeping an eye on the illegal practice of beds in sheds.
We are committed to continually work with our members to promote and improve how we live and work in Sudbury
- Promoted Sudbury Arts Festival in September 2013 which started with a pre-event viewing of the film TRASHED by Jeremy Irons at 7 pm sharp at the Sudbury Baptist Church – Barham Park roundabout on Tuesday, 17 September.
- STRA took part in dialogue with Brent Council and our Consultant with respect to a Neighbourhood Development Plan for Sudbury.
- Campaigning to remove cars parked on the pavement.
- Campaigning / encouraging a stop to the sale of paan filled with tobacco, betel nut and lime.
- Organising an awareness campaign of the serious health risks of consuming paan filled with
tobacco, betel nut and lime.
- Litter picks – we plan two Litterpicks a year. Check our calendar for dates.
Do you live in Sudbury? Are you passionate about improving the area? Guess what, so are we!
We've got regular meetings, plenty of social events and a burning desire to maintain everything that's great about Sudbury – and see what we can do to improve the not-so-great parts too.
Join STRA today and do as much or as little as you like.
Tel: 020 8144 5645
Are you good at anything? Do you have skills we might need?
Seriously, anything at all!
Whatever skills or experience you have, we could use your help. We've got lots of ongoing campaigns, projects and ideas and we would simply love it if you got involved!
To find out more about getting involved, email email@example.com, with the subject heading "Get involved!", and briefly introduce yourself.
For details of the next members meeting and a write up of our AGM click here.
Sudbury in Bloom
On Saturday 29 May 2021 STRA and WCARA joined hands again to spread some colour and happiness around Sudbury Town with the gift of free bedding plants.
STRA applied for and received a grant from Brent Council Love Where You Live Grant.
STRA has two Facebook Pages, one for general STRA matters and one for events. Sudbury Town also has its own Facebook page.